Frazer John Recruitment is delighted to be working with one of the country's leading developers and operators of Student Accommodation to find them a Development Manager.Job Purpose
The role holder will be responsible for managing multiple projects across a combined direct development/forward funding pipeline (in the region of GDV £100m, 730 beds) and working with team members to oversee the implementation of activity involving refurbishment and extensions to existing assets. This role will suit someone who is a proactive, dependable “completer finisher.” Our client is very passionate about what they do and, therefore, the successful candidate will be a confident individual who is capable of engaging others to deliver in a fast-paced environment albeit with regulatory requirements.
Some UK travel will be required as part of the role (usually by train) with overnight stays now and then.KEY RESPONSIBILITIESProject planning and management
- Defining the brief, vision and overall development strategy for project(s).
- Development of high-level project programmes, appraisals, cashflows, budget setting and controls.
- Involvement in all stages of projects from Outline Appraisals to Practical Completion and handover to the Operations Team and Investment Manager.
- Appointment and leadership of multi-disciplined external design teams, including consultant PMs/Planners, allocating and supervising their deliverables.
- Ensuring the process for reporting and management of defects is adhered to.
- Work with the Senior Development Manager to ensure overall success of the Project(s) against agreed criteria
- Engage and liaise with both internal and external stakeholders where directed.
- Coordinate with internal teams such as the Operations Team, FM Team and marketing.
- Report project progress against development appraisal objectives to the Finance Team and as directed by the Head of Property.
- Monitor Forward Funding agreements in specific cities as directed (Leicester and Edinburgh currently), acting as a single point of contact in the team.
- Focus on direct development schemes in specific cities (e.g. Bristol, Falmouth and Canterbury).
- Other duties as reasonably needed within the skills and experience of the role holder.
Qualifications, Skills, Experience and Attributes
- Minimum 3-5-year PQE experience in at a Fund, Developer or Development Consultancy (build to rent is essential, student housing preferable).
- MRICS or RIBA a pre-requisite
- Significant project management experience.
- Ability to think and plan ahead to ensure results are delivered often under tight time constraints to meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to think laterally and consider recommendations using a logical, rational and considered approach.
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills
- Demonstrate high levels of integrity to build trust and confidence with others and act at all times in an honest, fair and respectful manner.
- High degree of financial literacy, with advanced excel modelling skills and understanding of cashflows.
- Strong eye for detail.
- Ability to build collaborative effective working relationships stakeholders, colleagues and relevant third parties, managing expectations and building consensus around key decisions.
- Ability to make timely and good quality decisions when required to allow others to perform their relevant jobs. Involve others as appropriate to assist in making those decisions but take responsibility for them.
- Motivation to develop and progress by embracing autonomy in the context of the requirement to adhere to necessary controls and processes for the role including for example working with reasonable care to ensure the health and safety of yourself, your colleagues, members of the public and others working on the project, identifying, reporting and resolving issues where possible.
- Results orientation
- Decision making
- Accountability and ownership
- Commercial Acumen
- Adaptability and change
- Customer focus